Saturday, July 29, 2006

A letter from Beirut By a young mum...

Party On?

Well today I received and e-mail from my friends stating that some of the most popular bars, clubs and shopping outlets have relocated their addresses from Beirut to Faraya. I don’t know whether to be happy that Lebanese will never give up their life style no matter how much they are suffering, or be sad that some people are happy to go party, dance and drink with no care for their fellow nationals living in the South.

I am actually very confused. But if you ask me, I can’t even think of doing something fun while Lebanon is undergoing pain and heartaches on a daily basis.

Petrol, Nil

My husband and I went out for a ride, just to take a breather. We got a call from a friend who told us the petrol in the country has finished. I went mad, as I thought the government assured us that the country’s petrol resources will last us at least two months. It has been two weeks so far… I am going to cry. Not only are we prisoners in our own country, we are prisoners now in our own homes. We can’t use the petrol in our cars; as in cases of emergencies we will definitely need them.

Oh I guess people wanting to go party in Faraya have another thing coming their way…

My Baby

When I was younger, I didn’t really understand the concept of war. My mother would be stressed packing trying to get us out of the country, as my sisters and I would be so happy leaving – thinking we’re going on holiday.

I grew up knowing that Israel was an enemy, but since I was not too aware of the constant damages they inflicted in our country, my feelings towards them were indifferent.

Now I am 33, a mother of a one year old – I can not even begin to express the feelings that overpower me today. I never thought I was able to have so much hate for some one, a nation, Israel.

As a mother and a wife, I feel more responsible and therefore more afraid of what may happen in the near future. I am always in a state of panic – I need milk, diapers, bottled baby food and of course wet wipes… and water… as the supply is very very limited.

My baby should always be in front of my eyes. I worry and dread that something will happen to her. It’s happening to others. Mothers have lost their babies and babies have lost their mothers. Is this fair… and all for what?

No comments: